Kenzie’s Ultimate Ruffle Edged Crochet Baby Blanket w/ Tutorial!

I found this blanket on Pinterest and fell in love with the ruffled edge.  So when I found out last week that or little surprise due to arrive Sept. is another little girl the first project on my list was my own version of the polka dot and ruffles blanket.

I love the ruffles but prefer the look of the body with the bamboo crochet stitch pattern over the tc and puff stitches.  The bamboo stitch pattern is something I have only found in 1 pattern book but is my all time FAVORITE! It has some straight structure but it is a little lacy and looks like the branches that intertwin just like bamboo.  It also has the look of a lace stitch pattern with the thickness and durability of a plain sc stitch.

I have to say I LOVED how this turned out, I can’t wait for her to be able to use it.  It used 4 6oz skiens of Caron Simply Soft yarn and too me 4 days to make at nights and while Parker was napping (I crochet quite fast though). The ruffle is so full that the last row around is just over 1600 double crochets and used over 2/3rds (4.5oz) of a 6oz skein.  You can use what ever stitch pattern you like and skip to the Ruffles if you want.  As a warning this is the first crochet tutorial/pattern I have wrote, so hopefully it makes sense! This finished blanket is about 35″ square but can easily be made bigger, though it will use a lot more yarn.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

SUPPLIES:
4 – 6oz skeins of Caron Simply Soft yarn.
K Crochet Hook

BODY:
Foundation: Ch. 100 & turn (to make larger add increments of 4)
Row 1: in 4th chain from hook (dc2ch1sc1) repeat all the way across in every 4th chain… At the last chain do just one dc, ch2 and turn.
Row 2: In the space created by the chain (not the actual chain stitch) continue the same stitch pattern (dc2ch1sc1) repeating all the way across. After doing the last one in the top of the last dc stitch from the row below dc1 and the ch2 and turn.
Row 3-63: repeat row 2.

If you made it wider the 100 chains continue rows until it is square.

RUFFLE:
Round 1: ch1 sc around all 4 sides of the blanket sc3 in each of the 4 corner stitches, sl to connect at end of round
Round 2: ch2, dc2 in each sc all the way around dc4 in each of the 4 corners, sl to connect at end of round
Round 3: ch2, repeat the pattern (dc2 in the first sc, dc1 in the next sc) all the way around dc3 in each of the 4 corners, sl to connect at end of round
Round 4: ch2 repeat the pattern (dc2 in the first sc, dc1 in the next 2 sc) all the way around dc3 in each of the 4 corners, sl to connect at end of round and tie off to complete.

Weave in all loose ends and enjoy!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Babies & Kids, Tutorials and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Kenzie’s Ultimate Ruffle Edged Crochet Baby Blanket w/ Tutorial!

1. electricmuse says:

I love it! I wish I was this handy!

2. Cheryl Zwierko says:

In Row 1 of the Body, after completing (dc2ch1sc1) in the fourth chain from the hook, do you do the (dc2ch1sc1) in EACH CHAIN to the end of the row or every 4th chain for the remainder of the row? Thanks.

3. Pennie says:

I absolutely love this baby blanket! I’m trying to follow your instructions and I’m having some trouble. I admit, I’m not the best with the crochet “language”. Is it possible for you to post a video tutorial of it? I know it would help so much if I could see how it is done. My attempt looks too gap-y. Thanks so much!

• Kymy says:

How many rows have you done? The first row will look gappy, once you get to row 3 or 4 it should look more like the picture. You can always do a test square (try 20 chains to start) to see if it looks right with out doing a huge piece. Some yarns are thinner & some people crochet looser so if it’s still to lacey/gappy for your liking try a smaller hook. I hope that helps!

4. tootoobad says:

Help!! I am doing the ruffle edging and I have done Round 1 & 2, but am confused on Round 3?? It says to “repeat pattern”, what do I do?? Do I repeat Round 1? Because Round 3 says to dc into sc? The only sc is in Round 1?? Please help:) Thanks!!

5. Carol Adams says:

Thanks so much for the pattern and congratulations on your new baby girl.

6. Courtney says:

Hi! I would love to make this however I’m looking to make a blanket smaller in size than your 35×35 measurement. In your pattern you say to increase in multiples of for so would the opposite be true to reduce the size? Take out multiples of 4? Thanks in advance for your help! Beautiful pattern!

7. Audra says:

Thank you for your help. Doing two different baby blankets for friends baby blankets. No other websites have how to do second row but you do. Glad to find it finally.